Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Midsummer Night's Dream Project ANALYZING

We pulled pulled out the actual script of the play, for example:

"Full of vexation come I, with complaint
Against my child, my daughter Hermia.
Stand forth, Demetrius. My noble lord,
This man hath my consent to marry her.
Stand forth, Lysander: and my gracious duke,
This man hath bewitch'd the bosom of my child;
Thou, thou, Lysander, thou hast given her rhymes,
And interchanged love-tokens with my child:
Thou hast by moonlight at her window sung,
With feigning voice verses of feigning love,
And stolen the impression of her fantasy
With bracelets of thy hair, rings, gawds, conceits,
Knacks, trifles, nosegays, sweetmeats, messengers
Of strong prevailment in unharden'd youth:
With cunning hast thou filch'd my daughter's heart,
Turn'd her obedience, which is due to me,
To stubborn harshness: and, my gracious duke,
Be it so she; will not here before your grace
Consent to marry with Demetrius,
I beg the ancient privilege of Athens,
As she is mine, I may dispose of her:
Which shall be either to this gentleman
Or to her death, according to our law
Immediately provided in that case."



•We analyzed the use of english that Shakespeare expressed in his writing and we focused on three major factors:


Vocab Words: the words he used in the play are really difficult to understand in this part of the play the most difficult word was FEIGNING. Really the only word in this line we had trouble with, then; we found the definition for the word: to pretend to feel something, especially an emotion. 


Pauses: each individual phrase of the line is often separated by a comma. Those pauses are very confusing since he is not using a transitional word but he just pauses ands then makes the character say the next clause. 


Old English: The play is written in old english which makes the grammar and the vocabulary distinguish, since it is a play the lines are made for the actors to act them out. The words and where he puts the words in completely different from the language we speak today. So, that's why things like "come I" are not exactly grammatically incorrect.

No comments:

Post a Comment